By NewsX Bureau
17 July 2017
- Swiss star Roger Federer won his record 8th Wimbledon title on Sunday after defeating Marin Cilic of Croatia 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 in straight sets. This is the 19th Grand Slam title for Federer. He has now surpassed former US star Pete Sampras and William Renshaw of Britain to win the highest number of Wimbledon singles titles.
- Swiss star Martina Hingis along with her Scottish partner Jamie Murray clinched the Wimbledon mixed doubles title after defeating Henri Kontinen and Heather Watson 6-4, 6-4 in the final match on Sunday. This is the 23rd grand slam title for the Switzerland’s star and 2nd for James Murray. Hingis now has 6 mixed doubles, 12 women’s doubles and 5 singles Grand Slam titles.
- Britain’s Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton on Sunday won the British Grand Prix at the Silverstone circuit for the 5h time in his career. Starting from pole, Hamilton was the first to cross the line after finishing 52 laps. While his teammate Valtteri Bottas came 2nd, Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari completed the race with third position. Germany’s Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari finished 7th after a puncture during the last lap.
- Dutch rider Bauke Mollema registered victory in the stage 15 of Tour de France on Sunday. This is the first ever Tour stage wins for the rider. Britain’s defending champion Chris Froome managed to retain his yellow jersey despite a mechanical problem in the middle of the race. After Monday’s final rest day, there will be 6 more stages before the race finishes in Paris on 23 July.
- Arsenal’s Chilean forward Alexis Sanchez has indirectly hinted that he might move out of the club after expressing his wish to play in the Champions League. Arsenal will not be play in the Champions League next season as it finished fifth in the English Premier League last season. The player said that he has made his decision, but final call has to be taken by Arsenal. Ealier, club manager Arsene Wenger had said that he is positive about Sanchez’s stay at club.
17 July 2017
Sports Wrap: Federer wins 8th Wimbledon title; Hamilton wins British Grand Prix 2017 & more
(Latest News in English from Newsx)