Sports Wrap: Federer qualifies for Nitto ATP Finals; Gareth Bale recovers from injury & more
18 July 2017
- After winning his record 8th Wimbledon title on Sunday, Swiss star Roger Federer has qualified for the Nitto ATP Finals for a 15th time. The 35-year-old player clinched his place alongside Rafael Nadal. Federer has won the tournament for six times. The ATP Finals is the 2nd highest tier of men’s tennis tournament after the 4 Grand Slams. It features the top 8 singles players and doubles teams of the ATP Rankings.
- Spanish tennis player Garbiñe Muguruza has jumped to the 5th spot in WTA world rankings after winning the Wimbledon tournament of this year. The 23-year-old Spaniard won her Wimbledon title after defeating United States’ Venus Williams in the women’s singles final. On the other hand, Czech star Karolina Pliskova took the top spot while Romania’s Simona Halep was ranked at 2nd and Germany’s Angelique Kerber at 3rd.
- Real Madrid’s forward player Gareth Bale is set to start the new football season after missing the end of his club’s last campaign with an ankle injury. The player also dismissed speculation about his move to Manchester United and said that there is no offer for him so there is nothing to talk about. The 28-year-old added that he had “signed a long contract with Real Madrid and is ‘happy’ at the club.
- For the first time in his professional career, Tiger Woods has dropped outside the top 1000 players in the latest world Golf rankings. He has now been placed at 1005th rank in the official Ranking. The 41-year-old once held the world number 1 ranking for a record 683 weeks. The fall in his ranking is primarily due to his injuries in last few years, which had stopped him from playing many tournaments.
- India’s Amit Saroha has clinched the silver medal in the men’s club throw F51 competition in the World Para Athletics Championships on Monday. The 32-year-old Saroha’s got the silver medal for his best throw of 30.25 metres, which came in his 3rd attempt. The para-athlete from Haryana also set a new Asian record in the event.
By NewsX Bureau | First Published : 18 July 2017 , 8:32 AM