By NewsX Bureau
12 August 2017
- In a shocking result, Rafael Nadal has been knocked out of the Rogers Cup, falling to Denis Shapovalov 6-3, 4-6, 6-7 in third round of the tournament on Thursday night. With this defeat, Nadal’s hope to regain the No. 1 ATP ranking also hit a major break. The Spaniard could have achieved the top spot by reaching semifinals of the tournament. The 143rd rank holder Shapovalov will now face France’s Adrian Mannarino in the quarter-final match.
- Spanish star Garbine Muguruza has reached the quarterfinals of the Rogers Cup after defeating Australia’s Ashleigh Barty 6-0, 3-6, 6-2 in the 3rd round on Thursday. This is the first time; 4th-seed Muguruza has entered quarterfinals of the tournament. The 23-year-old Spaniard is now looking forward to face the 5th-seed Elina Svitolina of Ukraine on Friday.
- The French Football Federation has confirmed that it had received Neymar’s international transfer certificate from his former club Barcelona. Barcelona had earlier said that it would hold the transfer certificate until the French side pays the 222 million euro buy-out fee. The confirmation from the club makes the Brazilian forward available for his debut with PSG this weekend. Neymar on Friday took part in his training session with the new club.
- Jose Mourinho has confirmed that Manchester United is in talks to bring striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic back to the team. The 35-year-old player, who sustained a serious knee injury during the last season, became a free agent on June 30. The coach said that Ibrahimovic thinks he can do more at the highest level so club officials are discussing the possibility of him to stay with the club for 2nd part of the season. The player has played 46 matches in last campaign with the Red, scoring 28 goals & helping team to win the UEFA Euro.
- Indian female shooter Maheshwari Chauhan has bagged an individual bronze in women’s skeet competition of the ongoing 7th Asian Shotgun Championship on Friday. She also led India to win the silver medal along with Rashmmi Rathore and Saniya Sheikh in the team event. The trio shot a total of 190, finishing behind gold medallists China, who shot 195.
12 August 2017