By NewsX Bureau
12 September 2017
- Swiss veteran Martina Hingis captured her second US Open doubles title after pairing Chinese Taipei’s Chan Yung-Jan as the duo beat Czechs Lucie Hradecka and Katerina Siniakova. Hingis won the mixed doubles title with Britain’s Jamie Murray on the previous day, and Sunday’s title is also her 13th Grand Slam women’s doubles title. Hingis and Chan sent Hradecka and Siniakova crashing at 6-3, 6-2 in the final. For Hingis, it was her 25th career Grand Slam title overall.
- The Badminton Association of India on Monday announced annual Lifetime Achievement Awards to the greats of the game who have made rich contributions to the cause of the sport in the country. Prakash Padukone was named as the first recipient of this maiden initiative. The legendary player who is the only Indian male player to reach World No.1 ranking will be awarded a cash award of INR 10 lakh and a citation.
- Kim Kyong Yong scored five goals as defending champions North Korea thrashed Bangladesh 9-0 on Monday in the AFC Under-16 Women’s Championship. The Defending champions scored the first goal just five minutes after the start of the game with Kim opening the score with a brilliant header. She scored again three minutes later to double North Korea’s lead. North Korea led 4-0 going into the break. In the 49th minute Kim completed her hat-trick with yet another header. Captain Ri netted her second goal in the final minutes as North Korea completed a 9-0 thrashing of Bangladesh.
- Vietnam defeated Indonesia 3-0 on Monday to qualify for the AFF Under-18 Championship’s semifinals. Indonesia’s main goalkeeper Muhamad Riyandi had to be replaced by reserve goalkeeper Muhammad Aqil Savik following an injury. In the 41 st minute Le Van Nam chipped in a deflected corner to give Vietnam a 1-0 lead. Then just before first-half stoppage time Le Van Nam got his second goal to make it 2-0 at the break. Bui Hoang Viet Anh found the nets for Vietnam in the 76th minute and sealed the game.
- Lazio thrashed AC Milan 4-1 in the third week of the Serie A season thanks to Italian forward Ciro Immobile’s hat trick over a span of just 10 minutes. Immobile opened the scoring for Lazio when he converted a penalty in the 38th minute and then struck again four minutes later to give his side a 2-0 lead. The Italian forward scored the third goal in the 48th minute, while Luis Alberto netted the fourth goal just a minute later. Riccardo Montolivo managed a face-saving goal for AC Milan in the 56th minute.
12 September 2017
Sports Wrap: BAI to honour Prakash Padukone; Hingis, Chan wins US Open Women’s Doubles Title & more
(Latest News in English from Newsx)