No explosives found after football match cancelled in Hanover
| Wednesday, November 18, 2015 - 08:18
Berlin: No explosives were found in Hanover after the football match between Germany and the Netherlands was cancelled due to threat of attacks involving explosives on Tuesday evening, Interior Minister of German state of Lower Saxony said.
Boris Pistorius said rumours about explosives deposited in an ambulance have been "so far not confirmed," Xinhua reported.
During the evening, evidences were accumulating to suggest that one opted for the cancellation, said German Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere at a press conference.
An earlier cancellation was not possible and it was a tough choice to make, he added.
According to information obtained by German media from German security sources, the cancellation was relevant indication to an attack that had been planned by potential Islamist attackers.
"We have had concrete evidence that someone wanted to ignite an explosive device at the stadium," Hanover's police chief Volker Kluwe said to German media on Tuesday night.
The "official visitors" and the teams were safe, he said, adding that the evacuation of the stadium went "smoothly".
Earlier in the day, roads accessing to the stadium set ti hold the match were reportedly blocked after a suspicious object was found on the spot.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel and several cabinet ministers were expected to attend the match, which comes four days after the terrorist attacks in Paris that killed more than 130 people.