India condemns terror attack in Jakarta

| Friday, January 15, 2016 - 18:48
First Published |
Jakarta Terror Attack

India condemns terror attack in Jakarta

New Delhi: India on Friday strongly condemned the terrorist attack in Jakarta that left two civilians dead and 19 others injured.

"India unequivocally opposes terrorism in all its forms and expresses solidarity with the government and the people of Indonesia," the external affairs ministry said.

"We extend our sincere condolences to the bereaved families and wish a speedy recovery to those injured," a ministry statement said.

In a brazen mid-day assault, a band of well-armed militants detonated explosives and opened fire on Thursday in the heart of Jakarta.

The Islamic State (IS) militant earlier claimed responsibility of the attack. It released a statement online, saying it had been carried out by "soldiers of the Caliphate", targeting "citizens of the Crusader coalition" against the group.

The dead included a Dutch citizen and an Indonesian as well as five of the attackers. 


Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.