S Korea raises alert against Pyongyang cyber attack threat
| Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 17:12
Seoul: South Korea has boosted its military information surveillance status in response to alleged threats of cyber attacks by North Korea, media reports said on Sunday.
South Korea's Information Operations Condition (INFOCON), a five-tier threat level system used by the country's military to defend against cyber attacks, was raised to Level 3.
"We believe there's a larger possibility that North Korea may launch cyber attacks on the South, and recently upgraded our Information Operation Condition," a military official said.
The INFOCON was earlier upgraded from Level 5 to Level 4 following Pyongyang's nuclear test last month, EFE news reported.
Reports of the latest upgrade come one week after North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket carrying a satellite into space. The action has been interpreted by much of the international community as a disguised ballistic missile test.
On Thursday, all communication hotlines between South Korea and North Korea have been cut-off after the shutdown of an inter-Korean factory park. Pyongyang shut down the joint factory park in its border city of Kaesong.
Pyongyang's decision came in the wake of Seoul's announcement on Wednesday to completely stop operations at the joint industrial zone as part of punitive measures after North Korea's launch of a long-range rocket and the fourth nuclear test.