Apple vs FBI: FBI hacks into terrorist’s iPhone without Apple's consent

| Tuesday, March 29, 2016 - 17:11
First Published |
FBI, Apple, San Bernardino attacks

Legal tussle ends between FBI and Apple

San Francisco: The legal brawl between U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and Apple is finally over after authorities announced they had accessed the device.

The scuffle was over access to the iPhone used by a shooter in last year's San Bernardino attacks.

At the time, Apple chief executive Tim Cook said, “it would require writing new software that would be "a master key, capable of opening hundreds of millions of locks".

The case marked one of the highest-profile clashes in the debate over encryption and data privacy between the government and a technology company.

The judge asked Apple to provide "reasonable technical assistance" to the U.S. authorities, which would require the technology giant to overhaul the system that disables the phone after 10 unsuccessful password attempts but Apple denied to help.

Congressman Darrell Issa said, “This lawsuit may be over, but the Constitutional and privacy questions it raised are not.”

Law enforcement authorities say that encryption used by the likes of Apple makes it harder for them to solve cases and stop terrorist attacks.

The iPhone maker is likely to continue bolstering security in its software and devices.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.