KATHMANDU: One week after the devastating earthquake that rocked Kathmandu killing more than 6,600, the Nepal government on Saturday ruled out the possibility of finding more survivors stuck in the debris.
Home Ministry Spokesman Laxmi Prasad Dhakal said, “It has already been one week since the disaster. We are trying our best in rescue and relief operations but now I don’t think that there is any possibility of survivors under the rubble,” he added.
Earlier on Friday, Nepalese Army Chief General Gaurav Sumsher Rana told media that death toll could rise to 10,000 as rescue teams were busy in pulling out bodies in remote areas as well as in Kathmandu.
On Friday, 50 more bodies were recovered from the debris of the Dharahara tower that collapsed after the quake hit Nepal on April 25.
Meanwhile, the social networking site Facebook has raised funds over $10 million to support the quake-hit Nepal.
Facebook founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Mark Zuckerberg posted a status, stating “We gave people the option on Facebook to support local relief efforts. In two days, more than half a million people donated and raised more than $10 million to support the International Media Corps relief effort.”
(With Agency Inputs)
(Latest News in English from Newsx)