New Delhi: Muhammad Ali is undeniably one of the most prolific fighters the 21st century has seen; his taunting of the opponent, the shuffle of his legs, and the flash-strike with the agility of a cobra rendered the fiercest reputation to Muhammad Ali.
However, off the ring and away from the gloves, Muhammad Ali was one helluva trash talker. The ever-so-confident would swagger in on his opponents during press conference and would deliver the opponent's imminent defeat in so sharp and incendiary a rhetoric that they were forced to unleash their frustration upon Ali. Ali handled all of it elegantly, and proved many naysayers time and again that he was indeed the best.
Like Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali was one fighter who went beyond the normal conception of fights. He made it into an art and the world bought it in plenty. He inspired many emulations, and established so vast a legacy that professional sports would've never seen a glimpse of transcendental human emotions without him.
Here are Muhammad Ali's 10 greatest quotes:
1. He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life. (This advice, reiterated many time, is a mantra that all successful swear by)
2. I know where I'm going and I know the truth, and don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. (You have to be loyal to yourself and be unafraid about all negative things)
3. The man who has no imagination has no wings.
4. Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee. (Nowhere does Ali's style of boxing is captured immaculately than this statement)
5. It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you down. It's the pebble in your shoe. (Don't be deterred by small things)
6. Don't count the days, make the days count. (Make the magic happen)
7. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.
8. Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth. (The boxer eloquently answered a question by saying that he would help all people when he retired)
9. Silence is golden when you can't think of a good answer.
10. I am the greatest, I said that even before I knew I was. (He is)