Nepal toll in fresh quake rises to 65

| Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 10:47
First Published |

Fresh earthquake kills 57 in Nepal, 10 in India

Kathmandu: The death toll in the powerful earthquake that rocked Nepal on Tuesday has reached 65, authorities here said on Wednesday.

As many as 1,926 people sustained injuries in the May 12 quake which measured 7.3 on the Richter scale, according to the Home Ministry's National Emergency Operation Centre.

Geologists describe the May 12 temblor as an aftershock of the 7.9-magnitude earthquake that jolted Nepal on April 25.

As many as 8,151 have died in the April 25 quake and 17,866 people were injured.

The death toll is likely to rise since search and rescue operations were continuing in the worst-hit districts, including Dolakha, Sindhupalchok and Rasuwa.

According to Rasuwa Chief District Officer Prem Lal Adhikari, the fresh tremors on Tuesday brought down the houses in Dolakha which were spared by last month's earthquake.

At least 11 people were killed in the May 12 temblor in Sindhupalchok while over 100 people were injured.

According to Sindhupalchok Chief District Officer Gopal Prasad Parajuli, the April 25 earthquake and subsequent aftershocks had affected all areas, including headquarters of the district. Tuesday's tremors brought down those houses that had remained unaffected in the earlier quake.

The death toll from the April 25 earthquake and May 12 temblor has reached 3,224 in Sindhupalchok district alone.

Tuesday's aftershock triggered massive landslides in different areas of Rasuwa district.

According to Chief District Officer Uddhav Prasad Bhattarai, no casualty has been reported so far despite landslides affecting Gosainkund, Syafrubesi, Haku and Mailung areas -- all boasting favoured trekking routes.

The April 25 earthquake claimed 564 lives in Rasuwa and the death toll may go up as the search and rescue operation is still underway in Rasuwagadhi, Langtang and Mailung.

The Nepal Army has taken charge of the search, rescue, and relief operations as well as rubble removal efforts.

An army source said it has quickly mobilised the army personnel following the May 12 temblor.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.