State of emergency extended in France for three months beyond July 26

| Friday, July 15, 2016 - 08:58
First Published |
France, emergency, francois hollande, nice, bastille day, terror attack, killed, injured

Paris: France President Francois Hollande on Friday said the state of emergency was extended in the country for three months beyond July 26 as at least 80 people were killed on Thursday night when a large truck mowed through a crowd celebrating Bastille Day in Nice.

Hollande on Friday said the truck attack was of a "terrorist character".

"An attack on the terrorist nature cannot be denied," BFMTV quoted Hollande as saying at a press conference.

"We must do everything so that we can fight against the scourge of terrorism," he said. "This is France, which is under the threat of Islamist terrorism."

(Also Read: Terror attack in France: 80 killed as truck rams into crowd in Nice)

Over 150 people were also injured in the mayhem.

Hollande on Friday morning will preside over a security and defence council meeting with ministers and the main authorities in these matters, said the spokesperson for the Elysee.

The president on Thursday indicated that the state of emergency declared immediately after the terrorist attacks in Paris on November 13 last year, would be lifted on July 26.

To fight against terrorism after this new attack, he appealed "to the operational reserve".

At least 130 people were killed and over 250 injured in another major terror attacks in France in November last year. The attacks were claimed by the Islamic State militant group.

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on Google+, Twitter and on Facebook.

Add new comment

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.