Munich: The shootings on Friday evening at 6PM in the German city of Munich have claimed 10 lives so far with many feared wounded.
German police have confirmed that the casualities stand at nine so far. What is not clear is if of the nine lives lost one of the deceased is a gunman.
Three gunmen are still at large after the shooting at the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum (OEZ) shopping mall in the Moosach district of Munich. A person allegedly the shooter was seen shooting randomly in front of a McDonald's outlet.
The police have not yet been able to track the shooters down. However, according to German newspaper Bilde, one gunman is reported to have committed suicide.
Massive police operations are under way to flush out the shooters; choppers were seen carrying out aerial surveys.
It is feared that there are some shoppers still stuck in the OEZ shopping centre. The gunmen have not yet been identified due to which the German police are not being able to give a definite number of the casualties.
The police have said that the shooting "looks like a terrorist attack" though it is still not clear if it is an ISIS-inspired attack.
In an effort to know about the whereabouts of the shooters the police have cordoned off the area around the mall and the city as a whole has come to a standstill.
The city's transportation has been shut down; buses, metro and all sorts of transportation have been locked down. The Munich train station has been evacuated as have the bus and metro stations. The police suspect that one of the attackers may have escaped to one of the underground metro stations.
A state of emergency has been declared in Munich, with special operations underway.
Citizens have been advised to remain indoors and to avoid crowded places.
The police have requested people not to post pictures or videos from the crime scene as police do not want to assist the attackers in any way.
So far there is no report of any Indian being among casualties.
Gurjit Singh, the Indian ambassador to Germany has expressed sadness about the Munich attack. The Indian consulate in Munich has put out an advisory and helpline numbers so that Indians in Munich could report their safety.
— India in Germany (@eoiberlin) 22 July 2016
People are offering space to the stranded people in their own homes on social media, using the hashtag #Offenetuer -- which means "open door" -- for people who are stranded without a way to get home, BBC reported.
The Czech Republic's interior minister, Milan Chovanec, has told local television that the country's border will be reinforced in case the Munich attacker or attackers try to flee, German broadcaster NTV reported.
President Obama, who was briefed about the attack on the Olympia-Einkaufszentrum shopping mall, said, "We don't yet know exactly what's happening there, but obviously our hearts go out to those who may have been injured. We are going to pledge all the support they may need."
Britain's foreign secretary Boris Johnson tweeted that he was "shocked and saddened" by the shooting.
(With inputs from IANS)