New Delhi: A mountain biker from New South Wales, Australia on Sunday suffered severe burns to his right thigh when his Apple iPhone 6 ‘exploded’ in his back pocket.
At the time of the incident Gareth Clear, 36 from Bondi was riding around Manly Dam in New South Wales he fell off his bike and landed on his iPhone 6. The impact it seems set off an ‘explosion’ and resulted in third-degree burns.
“Seconds later, he noticed smoke and a searing heat, before hearing an explosion as the phone he’d had for just six months ignited, melting through his two shorts and two layers of skin on his upper right thigh, the Daily Telegraph reported.
— Gareth Clear (@gareth_clear) July 31, 2016
Even though in severe pain, Gareth who was out biking on his own, had to walk painfully all the way to a nearby town, where he was subsequently admitted to Royal North Shore hospital to receive a skin graft.
“It was a one in one million chance I hit a part of the phone which pierced the lithium battery and it exploded,” Clear said.
“I am 36, I have had a mobile phone for 18 years of my life and for that thing to explode or short circuit and cause it to temporarily ignite. I could see the metal bending and all the lithium leaking out of the bottom end,” he added.
After the explosion, the base of the phone looks like “something from a chemical explosion and the top remains perfectly intact”, the biker was quoted as saying.
But, Clear has not given up the idea of mountain biking. He said he won’t hesitate to get back on a bike again, though he said he won’t carry his phone with him.
Gareth wants his accident to be an eye opener to other active people who carry their phones with them. “It’s a tragedy waiting to happen,” he said. “A mini bomb.”
“Every iPhone is the same – if it happens to one, it will happen to another one. I was just lucky I was wearing pretty thick clothing and it was on my lower body. It could hurt someone else much more than it did me,” said the 36-year-old.
In the meantime, Apple has assured Gareth of a thorough investigation into the incident, however, an Apple spokesperson on being questioned declined to comment on the issue.