New Delhi: On Tuesday morning, United States presidential nominee Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton engaged in the first US presidential debate. Trump, rising steadily on the polls through his controversial and unapologetic temperament, was expected to bring an entertainment-infused discussion to the table with scandal-hit Hillary Clinton.
As political analysts expected, it did not take long for the Democrat and the Republican to bring their rhetoric closer to home, in fact, much closer to themselves.
Below listed are highlights of the first presidential debate:
1. Hillary Clinton: I have no reason to believe that he’s ever going to release his tax returns, because there’s something he’s hiding.
Donald Trump: I will release my tax returns against my lawyer’s wishes when she releases her 33,000 e-mails that have been deleted.
2. Donald Trump: I said she doesn’t have the stamina. And I don’t believe she does have the stamina. To be president of this country, you need tremendous stamina.
Hillary Clinton: Well, as soon as he travels to 112 countries and negotiates a peace deal, a ceasefire, a release of dissidents… or even spends 11 hours testifying in front of a congressional committee, he can talk to me about stamina.
3. Hillary Clinton: I have a plan to fight ISIS.
Donald Trump: No, no, you’re telling the enemy everything you want to do.
Hillary Clinton: No, we’re not.
Donald Trump: You’re telling the enemy everything you want to do. No wonder you’ve been fighting ISIS your entire adult life.
4. Donald Trump: Typical politician. All talk, no action. Sounds good, doesn’t work. Never going to happen.
5. Donald Trump criticises Hillary Clinton for her support to the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal.
Hillary Clinton: I know you live in your own reality, but those are not the facts.
6. Trump on Hillary’s experience as Secretary of State: Let me tell you, Hillary has experience. But it’s bad, bad experience.
7. Hillary targets Trump for his long-standing ‘birther’ movement support questioning Obama’s birth certificate.
Hillary Clinton: He tried to put the whole racist birther lie to bed. But it can’t be dismissed that easily. He has really started his political activity based on this racist lie that our first black president was not an American citizen.
The poll of debate watchers put Clinton at 62 per cent while Republican rival Donald Trump lost by 27 per cent in Monday night’s debate held at the Hofstra University, New York.
(Latest News in English from Newsx)