500-year-old archway on the Great Wall of China destroyed by gale
| Sunday, October 9, 2016 - 10:01
Beijing: A 500-year-old archway on the Great Wall has been reduced to rubble in China's Shanxi province after a strong gale hit earlier this week, a media report said.
The archway was the remains of a former watchtower on the Guangwu Great Wall section built during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1662). It was called the "Moon Gate" by Great Wall experts due to its round shape, Xinhua news agency reported on Saturday.
"The arch door had been on the verge of collapse before the unusual wind storm devastated it on Monday night," an official said.
During the National Day holiday, which ended on Friday, many tourists and amateur photographers came to the site only to find the ruins cordoned off.
China's existing Great Wall sections mostly date from the Ming era, with the Ming wall measuring over 8,800 km.
The Guangwu section of the Great Wall in Shanyin County, Shanxi stretches more than six km. Great Wall fans love the section because it has retained the original look of the wall.
However, much of the Guangwu Great Wall is in bad shape, the official added.