Tehran: Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif warned that, Iran might consider ‘other options’ in case any party involved in Iran’s nuclear deal fails to comply with its commitments.
He urged the incoming administration of the United States to remain committed to the international agreement, also known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA)signed last year, which put an end to Tehran’s nuclear disputes.
Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), is the nuclear agreement sealed between Iran and the major world powers including China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States and Germany in July 2015 and was implemented on January 16, 2016.
Zarif said that Iran has been implementing its part of the bargain, while the US, even with the current administration, has not fully implemented its part, Xinhua news agency reported.
“Iran wants to remain committed to JCPOA provided that everybody else is prepared to do the same,” he added.
Following the election of Donald Trump as the new president of the US on Tuesday, Iranian officials have expressed their concerns over the remarks of Trump against Iran’s nuclear deal during his campaign.
Trump has said that the nuclear deal sealed by Iran and the world powers in July, 2015 and implemented in January was “the worst deal ever negotiated”.
Rouhani said on Wednesday that his country expects respect from the US president-elect.
The nuclear agreement between Iran and the world powers, including the outgoing US administration, is a reflection in a UN Security Council Resolution, and it cannot be dismissed by one government’s decision, Rouhani said.
First Published | 12 November 2016 10:05 AM