Islamabad: Pakistani retailers have said that so far sales of Maggi noodles have been stable as consumers have not reacted to reports of lead contamination in Indian manufactured noodles being sold across the border, media reported on Sunday.
In India, a ban was imposed on the sales of Nestle Maggi Noodles on June 5, after high levels of lead were found in the product packets. The company ordered a recall of its product soon after, Dawn online reported.
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India said last week it was banning the company from producing and selling the noodles after tests in some states found high level of lead.
“What happened in India? We do not know anything. The consumers have not expressed any reservations in purchase of the said popular snack,” a retailer said.
“We are giving orders to the distributors for Maggi purchase as usual.”
A retailer from Karachi, however, said that a distributor of Maggi noodles is assuring shopkeepers that the product being sold in Pakistan is safe.
Some retailers were of the view that the government should take notice of the situation as Nestlé Pakistan produces the same product here.
“Maggi noodles are completely safe and have been trusted in India for over 30 years. The trust of our consumers and the safety of our products is our first priority. Unfortunately, recent developments and unfounded concerns about the product in India have led to an environment of confusion for the consumer there, to such an extent that Nestle India has decided to withdraw the product off the shelves in India, despite the product being safe,” Nestle Pakistan said in an official statement on its website.
The statement adds that Nestle Pakistan does not import any Maggi product from India.
“Maggi products sold in Pakistan are locally manufactured in our Kabirwala factory near Multan. Maggi products produced in Pakistan are safe and Halal. The product is safe in Pakistan and made in Pakistan.”
“Nestle Pakistan pro-actively conducts tests on all their products regularly, and consumers can be assured that our products are safe to consume,” the website claims.