A- A A+
Toronto: At least six people were killed and several injured after gunmen opened fire at the worshippers in a mosque in Canada’s Quebec City on Sunday night.
 
As per reports, the shooting was carried out by three gunmen and the incident took place during the evening prayers. At least 40 people were inside the Islamic cultural center when the firing took place. 
 
A police spokesperson said that eight others were also injured in the attack on Sunday night on the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec, reports said.

According to centre officials, said the attack occurred around 8 pm, when dozens of people were gathered in the mosque.

The Quebec City Police later confirmed that two people were arrested in connection with the attack.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the attack and said, “Tonight, Canadians grieve for those killed in a cowardly attack on a mosque in Quebec city. My thoughts are with victims and their families.”

The mosque previously experienced acts of vandalism and xenophobic messages.

Last June, during the month of Ramadan, someone left a pig’s head with a note saying “Bon Appetit” on the door of the mosque.

 

 

First Published | 30 January 2017 9:14 AM
Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News.
For News in English, follow us on