A- A A+

More than 3,100 people have been evacuated as eastern China’s Fujian province braces for the impact of Typhoon Nesat.

Fujian meteorological station said Nesat was expected to make landfall in Taiwan on Saturday and might land in the form of a typhoon or strong tropical storm in Fujian early on Sunday, Xinhua news agency reported.

By Saturday noon, over 3,100 women, children and elderly had taken to the shore from fish farms, the provincial flood control headquarters said.

Nesat, the ninth typhoon this year, was on Saturday travelling at a speed of 20 km per hour in a northwest direction, packing gusts of wind up to 144 km/h.

The station said the 10th typhoon had been formed and expected to land late on Sunday or early Monday in Fujian.

Authorities warned of torrential rain from Saturday till Wednesday due to the impact of dual typhoons. Rain is forecast to be over 500 mm in some areas.

China’s State Oceanic Administration on Friday issued this year’s first orange alert for ocean waves off the east coast ahead of Typhoon Nesat.

The administration ordered vessels in affected waters to return to port, personnel to evacuate and related departments to close beach entertainment facilities.

China has a four-tier colour-coded system for severe weather, with red the most serious, followed by orange, yellow and blue.

First Published | 29 July 2017 5:08 PM
Read News On:

Eastern China

evacuate

Nesat

State Oceanic Administration

Typhoon Nesat

Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News. For News in English, follow us on        
Web Title: China evacuates thousands ahead of Typhoon Nesat

(Latest News in English from Newsx)