At least four people have died and another 14 wounded in an explosion Sunday in southeastern Afghanistan, according to an official source. The bombing took place at 11.00 a.m. (local time) at a mobile phone market in Khost city, Efe news reported.
“As a result of the explosion, four people died and 14 were injured, all of them civilians,” Khost governor’s representative Mubariz Zadran said.
The injured were taken to a hospital and most of them are out of danger, according to Zadran.
A police official said the explosives were placed under a desk in a shop, and were detonated as more people gathered in the area.
He further said that the case was under investigation and no arrests have been made.
No group so far has claimed responsibility for the attack, although the Haqqani network, linked to the Taliban, is known to be active in the province.
Afghanistan is going through one of the bloodiest periods since the US invasion in 2001.
Since the NATO combat mission ended in January 2015, the insurgents have been gaining ground in various parts of Afghanistan and currently control, influence or are fighting the government in at least 43 per cent of the country, according to the US.