Islamic terrorist organisation IS has claimed responsibility for a shooting massacre in Las Vegas earlier on Monday where at least 50 people were killed and more than 400 were injured. A 64-year old male rained bullets on crowd of around 20,000 at a concert near the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino. IS has now confirmed its role in the shootout and has claimed that the attacker had recently converted to Islam.

The terror group’s official news agency ‘Amaq’ confirmed the news and the statement said that “Stephen Paddock, the shooter behind the Las Vegas massacre was a ‘soldier’ of the Islamic State and had recently converted to Islam.”

US President Donald Trump criticized the unfortunate incident and called it an “act of pure evil.”

In his White House addressal after the tragic event the President expressed grief over the deadly mass shooting and said “It was an act of pure evil; Americans are joined in sadness, shock and grief.”

He thanked the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for the courage they showcased in helping the crowd to flee safely. “I want to thank the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department and all of the first responders for their courageous efforts. The speed with which they acted is miraculous and prevented further loss of life,” added Trump.

Earlier in the day, President Donald Trump had expressed his condolences over the attack in a tweet which read, “My warmest condolences and sympathies to the victims and families of the terrible Las Vegas shooting. God bless you!.”

Earier today, IS had also released a poster relating to the attack, mocking USA — “USA licking wounds in Las Vegas” the red coloured poster read.

The Ministry of External Affairs, India confirmed that no Indian casualty has been reported so far in the Las Vegas shooting rampage, which is being termed as the deadliest America has ever seen.

According to news agency ANI, “No reports have been received of any Indian nationals amongst those affected in the Las Vegas shooting incident,” said the MEA spokesperson.

“Our Consulate in San Francisco continues to monitor the situation on a real-time basis,” he added.

At least 50 people were killed and more than 400 injured when a gunman opened fire into an open-air country music concert from Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Resort’s 32nd floor on Sunday night. The shooter killed himself as the police approached and has been identified as 64-year-old Stephen Paddock, a resident of Mesquite, Nevada. Authorities found several weapons in Paddock’s hotel room as per law enforcement officials. It is not yet clear what kinds of weapons were located.

According to reports, the shooting took place at around 22:30 (local time). An online video showed a musician performing outside the resort during a country music festival, when the gunfire started. The music stopped as people rushed to find safety.

“The band ran off stage and it was pandemonium. Everyone was running, people were getting trampled,” an eye witness Jon Bessette told NBC News post the unfortunate incident.

First Published | 2 October 2017 8:32 PM
Download English News App and stay updated with all Latest News. For News in English, follow us on