United States witnessed one of the worst shooting massacres in recent times when 64-year-old Stephen Paddock rained bullets on a crowd enjoying a concert event, killing at least 58 and injuring over 500 others in the rampage. The shooting took place at around 22:30 (local time). An online video showed a musician performing outside the resort during a country music festival, when the gunfire started. The music stopped as people rushed to find safety.
Here are 10 things we know about the accused Stephen Paddock:
1) Stephen Paddock is suspected to be the gunman who launched a bullet attack on a concert, killing 58 and injuring more than 500 people in Las Vegas, US.
2) Paddock fired at the crowd from his hotel room, on the 32nd floor of the Mandalay Bay Hotel and Casino. He killed himself at the scene before police officers could close. At least 10 rifles were found inside his room after police broke in.
3) Paddock was a resident of a retirement and golf community which consisted of about 20,000 other people and was located near the Arizona state line.
4) Paddock used to stay at his one-storey house with his roommate, Danley Marilou, who was not found at the house during the investigation. She was however cleared of any involvement later by the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police.
5) Police denied any links of Paddock with Islamic Terror outfits and said no one else was involved in the shooting. However, IS has claimed responsibility of the attack without any proof, claiming that the 64-year-old had embraced Islam recently.
6) Mesquite Police collected weapons and ammunition from Paddock’s residence but denied any previous criminal charges on him. “What’s unique for us is the gunman, the shooter, and the person with him, we in the Mesquite Police Department have not had any contact with these people in the past. We haven’t had any traffic stops, any law enforcement contact, no arrests or nothing,” Mesquite Police spokesperson, Qinn Averett said in a statement.
7) Paddock’s brother was shocked and left in huge shock when he was told about the incident; he insisted the family was “dumbstruck” by the news of mass killing. He said, he knew Stephen Paddock had a few handguns and a rifle, but was not aware of any automatic weapon that his brother possessed.
8) Danley Marilou, 62, Paddock’s roommate was a resident of Philippines and was not with him when he checked into the Mandalay Hotel. She was later traced in her own country and upon interviewing was found to have no idea or information about Paddock’s involvement in the incident.
9) Paddock, a retired accountant had earned a private pilot license and owed two aircrafts.
10) According to Public records Paddock had earlier lived in Texas and California and was living in central Florida in 2015. His current neighbours in Mesquite, Don and Sharon Judy claimed that in the two years, they rarely saw the couple.