Monday, December 11, 2023

3 Dead, 7 hurt in shooting at US high school

- Advertisement -

According to St. Louis Police Department Commissioner Mike Sack, the shooter, identified as 19-year-old Orlando Harris, shot and killed a 16-year-old girl and a 61-year-old lady at Central Visual and Performing Arts High School.

According to Sack, the shooter graduated from the institution last year and has no past criminal history. According to Sack, he was carrying about a dozen 30-round, high-capacity magazines.

Sack declared, “Today is a painful day for all of us.” “It will be difficult. On paper, there may only be nine victims, but there are actually hundreds more. Every survivor will bring trauma with them.”

According to Sack, the shooter was one of the eight persons who were brought to the hospital. The girl died in the school, while the woman passed away in the hospital. He stated that the suspect also passed away at the hospital.

According to Sack, who declined to give the victims’ names, officers were still in the process of informing the relatives of the fatalities Monday evening.

Students between the ages of 15 and 16 who were among the seven hurt were in stable condition, according to Sack. According to him, wounds from gunshots and shrapnel included fractured ankles. Three students sustained gunshot wounds: one to the leg, one to the arm, and one to the jaw as well as both hands.

According to Sack, police were attempting to identify a motive. There is a possibility that he was dealing with a mental ailment, according to Sack.

Sack gave an account of a prompt police reaction to the event early on Monday. At 9:11 a.m. local time, police received a call reporting an active shooter, he said. Four minutes after their arrival, cops “immediately” entered the school after being alerted by kids that there was a gunman “equipped with a long gun,” according to Sack.

Officers responded quickly to the sound of shooting, engaged the assailant in gunfire, and then shot him on the third story, according to Sack. Police released a chronology, and it shows that less than 15 minutes after the original report, they shot the shooter.

Sack said, “The police performed a wonderful job.” He stated no police were hurt.

Sack said that “hundreds” of students left the building. In the FOX2 livestream helicopter video of the incident, several students were seen leaving the school while carrying bags. Others were observed attempting to scale a barrier.

Latest news

Related news