On Wednesday, at least 28 workers became ill after breathing ammonia gas that spilled from Balasore prawn plant in Gadabhanga village, within the Khantapada police limits of Balasore district.
On Wednesday, at least 28 workers became ill after breathing ammonia gas that spilled from a prawn processing facility in Gadabhanga village, within the Khantapada police limits of Balasore district. The majority of the employees were female. According to sources, the gas began seeping from the facility at 4.30 p.m. and spread throughout the whole unit.
After breathing the gas, the workers complained of respiratory issues. The employees were sent to Khantapada Community Health Centre. After their health worsened, nine of them, including five ladies, were sent to Fakir Mohan Medical College and Hospital.
The serious patients were admitted to the casualty wing of the medical college, according to Chief District Medical Officer Dr. Dulal Sen Jagatdeo. After their health improved, four of them were released. Five more patients will be released 24 hours later. Khantapada police arrived at the shrimp processing facility after being notified to conduct an inquiry.