New Delhi: The Budget session 2017 began with President Pranab Mukherjee’s address to a joint session of the Parliament on Tuesday. In his address, President Pranab said that the 2017 Budget session was historic as it heralded the advancement of the budget cycle and also the merger of the railway budget with general budget.
The budget will be presented by the Finance Minster Arun jaitley on Wednesday. The session will take a break from February 9, reconvene on March 9 and end on April 12.
The Prime Minster Narendra Modi expressed hope that the budget session of Parliament will see peaceful debates despite political differences. He also made an appeal at an all-party meeting that was held in New Delhi on Monday.
The opposition parties, however, said they will raise the issue of demonetisation during the budget session.
Talking to reporters after an all-party meeting in the Parliament Library Building, Congress leader Jyotiraditya Scindia said the decision to advance the budget was against democratic practices. The Congress leader also said that his party would raise issues like demonetisation, increase in ceasefire violations on the Line of Control and security scenario in the country.
Here are the live updates:
* My Govt reiterates committment to fulfil aspirations of its people: Pranab Mukherjee
* India ratified Paris agreement on 2nd Oct 2016, thereby sending a strong message of our commitment to combating climate change
* My Govt welcomes constructive debate on simultaneous conduct of elections to Lok Sabha and state legislative assemblies: President
* We are proud of the forces, and the exemplary courage and valour displayed by them
* Our defence forces successfully conducted surgical strike to prevent infiltration by terrorists: Presdient
* Four decade old demand of OROP has been fulfilled: President Pranab Mukherjee addressing joint Parl session
* By the year end, all the meter gauge tracks in the North East will be converted into broad gauge lines: President Pranab Mukherjee
* To combat black money, corruption, counterfeit currency and terror financing, Govt took decision on 8th Nov 2016 of demonetisation: President
* My Govt has taken bold decisions in the interests for the poor: President Pranab Mukherjee
* Social and economic equality for deprived sections is the first promise of our constitution, our Govt is committed to fulfil it: President
* PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Deepa illustrate strength of our women: President Pranab Mukherje
* My Govt is making ‘naari shakti’ an integral part of our development journey, they deserve equal opportunities: President Pranab Mukherjee
* Soaring prices of pulses was matter of great concern around this time last year, my Govt took proactive steps, it’s now under control: Pres
* My Govt has taken various steps to transform the lives of our farmers says President Pranab Mukherjee at the joint session of Parliament
* Over Rs 2 Lakh Crore has been provided through 5.6 crore loans sanctioned under Pradhan Mantri Mudra Yojana: President Pranab Mukherjee
* Under Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana, over Rs. 16000 crore have been made available to SHGs in the current Financial Year: President
* Govt committed to growth, ‘sabka saath sabka vikaas’. Voluntary giving up of LPG subsidy has helped the poor: President Pranab Mukherjee
* My Govt has taken many initiatives to improve quality of life of the poor, committed to provide shelter: President Mukherjee
* At the core of all my Govt policies, is the welfare of ‘gareeb’, ‘peedit’, ‘Dalit’, ‘vanchhit’: President Pranab Mukherjee
* Resilience demonstrated by our countrymen particularly the poor, in the fight against black money and corruption, is remarkable: President
* This is a historic session heralding advancement of budget cycle and merger of general budget with rail budget for the first time, says President Pranab Mukherjee
* Budget session of Parliament begins with President’s address to members of both the houses.
* Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi reaches Parliament
* President Pranab Mukherjee has reached Parliament, will address members of both the houses soon
* This is the first time the budget is being presented on February 1 and I am hopeful all political parties will work together to move forward: Modi
* Had discussions with parties individually & collectively. Productive & detailed discussion of budget should be done: PM
“I urge all parties to help in smooth functioning of the session. I hope for fruitful discussions. We aim at positive and meaningful debates for public interest, says PM Modi.