Giving students a respite, the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) on Friday released the Private Candidate Form 2018 on Friday for class 10 and 12 on the official website. With the opening of online registration for Board and compartmental exams, students who failed to clear their board examinations can apply as private candidates in 2018. CBSE has launched this registration process for those students who fall under the NIOP (Class X), FAIL/COMPARTMENT (Class XII) categories and also for those students who weren’t pleased or wants to improve with their previous results. Students can also appear for their additional subject as a private candidate.

“Students declared as EIOP (eligible for improvement in performance)/NIOP in Board (SA-2) examination 2017/ earlier will need to give 2018 examination (covering entire class X syllabus) according to revised pattern,” the CBSE said, the Deccan Herald, reported. Students who were earlier sited under not eligible category for improvement of performance (NIOP) after their results came out in 2017 board examinations can now apply as private candidates for the upcoming 2018 exams. Students should also take cognizance of the fact that they can only apply as private candidates because they won’t be able to take school-based board examinations or optional board examination.

According to the Central Board of Secondary Education notification, all Class X NIOP candidates are supposed to take the compulsory board exams from 2018. The Education board will be conducting the Class X board examination for private candidates, comprising 80 marks (theory) in every subject covering 100% syllabus. If students want to appear as regular candidates, they have the option of getting an admission at a CBSE school to appear in the board examinations.

Here’s how students can apply for CBSE Private Candidate March 2018 Board Exams

(1) Log on to the official CBSE website which is –
(2) Select Online Application for Private Candidates for Main Exam 2018 (Class X/XII)
(3) Then click on the tab from left side menu according to the exam you wish to appear as:
      Compartment (Class 12), Improvement, Failure or Additional Subject
(4) Submit your previous board examinations roll number where you have to enter 5-digit School No. along with the Center No. and then select your standard(10th/12th).
(5) Pay the examination fee
(6) Complete your application process
(7) After completion download the confirmation page and take a print-out.