Fixed marriage age, inheritance rights, polygamy ban in Uttarakhand UCC draft: Sources
1 July, 2023 | Srishti Ruchandani
The primary focus of the draft of the proposed UCC for Uttarakhand , which will be submitted to the state government “soon”, to cover issues like marriage, divorce, succession, guardianship, custod...
The planned Uniform Civil Code (UCC) for the state of Uttarakhand is completed and will be submitted to the Uttarakhand government very soon, according to Justice (retired) Ranjana Prakash Desai, who is in charge of the committee of experts assembled by the state’s government. Justice Desai said the recommendations of the committee headed by her will empower women and strengthen the secular fabric of society if implemented.
According to sources, 12 important proposals have been made in Uttarakhand’s Uniform Civil Code. Check the details of the draft here:
- Inheritance rights are to be given to both son and daughter. The daughter will also be given the right in the property.
- Equal inheritance rights could be given to the children of 1st wife.
- Compensation is to be given to the wife’s parents along with the wife on the death of the husband.
- The committee has recommended fixing the age limit regarding marriage in the draft. Under the minimum age of marriage for all religions, the age of marriage of the girl child can be 21 years.
- There may be a provision for compulsory registration of marriage so that it can be given a legal basis.
- Strict rules can be made along with the system of banning polygamy
- compulsory registration in a live-in relationship.
- Rules can be made to make it mandatory to give a certain amount of money for maintenance to the wife and children after divorce.
- Banning nikah halala and one-sided divorce.
- Land transfer to be made possible between all communities & religions.
- The adoption process can be simplified in the draft. Adoption can be done across religions following the legal process,
- Security will be provided for local cultures & traditions to avoid fiddling