Prime Minister Narendra Modi will today dedicate the Smriti Van Memorial in Gujarat’s Bhuj district, which honours the resilience of people during the devastating 2001 earthquake in the Kutch region. The epicentre of the high-magnitude earthquake that killed thousands in the state was Bhuj. PM Modi said while sharing photos of the memorial, that Smriti Van is a tribute to the lost lives and the remarkable fighting spirit of the people of Kutch.
I will dedicate the Smriti Van Memorial in Kutch tomorrow. This Memorial is linked to the tragic 2001 Earthquake, in which several people died. “Smriti Van is a tribute to those we lost, as well as to the remarkable fighting spirit of the people of Kutch,” Prime Minister Narendra Modi said in a tweet.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Smriti Van Memorial:
- The sprawling memorial, which covers 470 acres, bears the names of approximately 13,000 people who died in the earthquake.
- The Smriti Van Earthquake Museum is housed in the Smriti Van Memorial and is divided into seven blocks based on seven themes: Rebirth, Rediscover, Restore, Rebuild, Rethink, Relive, and Renew.
- The first block depicts Earth’s evolution and its ability to triumph over all obstacles.
- The second block, based on the theme Rediscover, depicts Gujarat’s topography as well as various natural disasters to which the state is prone.
- The third section depicts the immediate aftermath of the earthquake, with galleries addressing the massive relief effort undertaken by individuals and organisations alike.
- The fourth section will highlight Gujarat’s rebuilding initiatives and success stories following the 2001 earthquake.
- The fifth block, based on the Rebuild theme, will prompt visitors to consider and learn about various types of disasters, as well as future preparedness to minimise damage and loss of life.
- The sixth block contains a 5D simulator that allows visitors to relive the experience of an earthquake and learn about the ground reality of an event of this magnitude.
- The seventh and final block offers people a place of remembrance where they can pay their respects to the lost souls.