‘Mutual consensus to disengage’: India-China at military talks
23 June, 2020 | newsx bureau
The corps commander level talks were held between India and China on June 22. Talks between both the countries have been going on for a month now, the situation riled up after 20 Indian soldiers we...
In the Corps Commander level talks between India and China at Moldo, both sides have reached a mutual consensus to disengage in the Eastern Ladakh sector, Indian Army said on Tuesday.
According to sources, the modalities for disengagement from all friction areas in Eastern Ladakh were discussed and will be taken forward by both sides. “The Corps Commander level talks between India and China on 22 June 2020 were held at Moldo in a cordial, positive and constructive atmosphere. There was a mutual consensus to disengage. Modalities for disengagement from all friction areas in Eastern Ladakh were discussed and will be taken forward by both sides,” the Army said.
The meeting had started at around 11:30 AM yesterday at Moldo on the Chinese side of Line of Actual Control (LAC) opposite Chushul to defuse the tensions in the Eastern Ladakh sector due to Chinese military build-up, sources had said.
Also Read: BJP President slams Congress for questioning Centre’s stance on China, demoralising army
#WATCH Ladakh: Indian Air Force fighter jets carrying out sorties in Leh. The air activity has gone up in the region after the stand-off with China started on the Line of Actual Control there. pic.twitter.com/Lxt77bPHgC
— ANI (@ANI) June 23, 2020
Also Read: Indian Muslims will not go on Haj this year: Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
This was the second meeting between the two corps commanders. They had met on June 6 and had agreed to disengage at multiple locations. India had asked the Chinese side to return to pre-May 4 military positions along the LAC. The Chinese side had not given any response to the specific Indian proposal and not even shown intent on the ground to withdraw troops from rear positions where they have amassed over 10,000 troops.
India and China have been involved in talks to ease the ongoing border tensions since last month. However, last week as many as 20 Indian soldiers lost their lives in a violent face-off in the Galwan Valley after an attempt by the Chinese troops to unilaterally change the status quo during the de-escalation in eastern Ladakh.
The Indian intercepts have revealed that the Chinese side suffered 43 casualties including dead and seriously injured in the violent clash.
Also Read: Pulwama encounter: CRPF eliminates 2 terrorists, 1 jawan killed in action
#NewsXExclusive | Watch a power packed panel join NewsX for an exclusive conversation on the Russia- India- China trilateral meet.
Don’t forget to tune in at 8 pm tonight! pic.twitter.com/79T7ukoJ2N
— NewsX (@NewsX) June 23, 2020