India China standoff: Corps commander-level meeting underway to discuss on-ground situation
30 June, 2020 | newsx bureau
The third round of Corps Commander-level meeting is underway to discuss the modalities of disengagement as the Chinese side didn't respond despite arriving on mutual consensus in the previous meeti...
Corps Commander-level meeting between armies of India and China has started in Chushul on Tuesday, to resolve the ongoing dispute over Chinese aggression along the Line of Actual Control in Eastern Ladakh area, said Indian Army Sources.
This is the third round of Corps Commander-level talks being held. The first two rounds had taken place in Moldo on the Chinese side of the LAC.
In the second round of Corps Commander-level talks held on June 22, both sides reached a mutual consensus to disengage in the Eastern Ladakh sector, army sources said.
The modalities for disengagement from all friction areas in Eastern Ladakh were discussed and these will be taken forward by both sides, sources added.
Also read: Hours after ban, TikTok denies data sharing with China
Also read: Galwan: China’s information warfare
The military commanders from both sides had met initially on June 6 and had agreed to disengage at multiple locations. India had asked the Chinese side to return to pre-May 4 military positions along the LAC.
The Chinese side had not given any response to the specific Indian proposal and not even shown intent on the ground to withdraw troops from rear positions where they had amassed over 10,000 troops.
India and China have been involved in talks to ease the ongoing border tensions since last month. Twenty Indian soldiers lost their lives in a violent face-off in Galwan valley on June 15-16 after an attempt by the Chinese troops to unilaterally change the status quo during the de-escalation. Indian intercepts revealed that the Chinese side suffered 43 casualties including dead and seriously injured in the face-off.
Also read: India to receive six fully-loaded Rafales amid standoff with China