The senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi was called on Sunday night after the Indian High Commission in the UK was vandalised.
The senior-most UK diplomat in New Delhi was summoned late this evening to express India’s strong protest at the actions taken earlier in the day by separatist and extremist elements against the Indian High Commission in London, according to a press release issued by the Ministry of External Affairs on Sunday. An explanation for the utter lack of British security that allowed these people to penetrate the High Commission premises was required. She was reminded of the UK Government’s basic duties under the Vienna Convention in this regard.
“India finds unacceptable the indifference of the UK Government to the security of Indian diplomatic premises and personnel in the UK,” the MEA press release said.
Demanding “immediate steps” from the UK Government, the official press release from the MEA said, “It is expected that the UK Government would take immediate steps to identify, arrest and prosecute each one of those involved in today’s incident, and put in place stringent measures to prevent the recurrence of such incidents.”
Today’s attack on the Indian High Commission in the United Kingdom was denounced by British High Commissioner Alex Ellis. He criticised the “disgraceful acts” and said they were completely unacceptable.
“I condemn the disgraceful acts today against the people and premises of the High Commission of India – totally unacceptable,” British High Commissioner to India Alex Ellis tweeted.