Diwali 2017 is just around the corner and the festival is not just about lights and crackers but also sharing delicious sweet and salty treats with your loved ones. The North Indian mega festival is celebrated with utter love and passion. Diwali or Deepavali also carries a significant message for all which encourages good over evil and light over darkness. It’s all about sharing the love and care with your closed ones and help everyone celebrate a prosperous day. The festival as per Hindu religion is celebrated to mark the return of Lord Rama to Ayodhya after 14 years of exile. Diwali this year will be celebrated on October 19 and to save you the hassle of going out and buying expensive sweets and snacks to serve your guests, we bring you some quick homemade recipes which are easy to make.
Diwali has no specific recipes as such but sweets and snacks are the most shared items on Diwali, savoury sweet dishes like kheer and barfi are a must have on the platter but we are bringing you some different and tastier recipes to try this Diwali which can be prepared at the comfort of your home with minimal ingredients. These recipes can be a good replacement for the usual readymade stuff bought from shops.
Sweet dishes for Diwali:
Coconut Til Ladoo (Ladu)
Ingredients of Coconut Til Ladoo (Ladu) (Servings – 4)
2 cups white sesame seeds
2 cup chopped dates
2 cup dry grated coconut
Method to make Coconut Til Ladoo (Ladu)
1) Dry roast sesame seeds on medium flame till they turn golden brown
2) Dry roast coconut next make sure you don’t burn it
3) Grind sesame seeds don’t powder it; mix all the ingredients (grated coconut, chopped dates, and sesame seeds) in a bowl.
4) Make round shaped balls of the mixture as per your preferred size and garnish the ladoos with finely grated coconut.
Ingredients of Malpua (Servings – 4)
For the malpua batter:
1 cup flour
1 cup grated khoya
1 and 1/2 cup warm water
For the malpua:
10-10 pieces of blanched almonds, pistachios each
5 Tbsp ghee
4 cups sugar syrup
Method to make malpua batter
1) Mix water and flour together to create a smooth batter
2) Add Khoya and water together in the batter and keep stirring and mixing it to get a lump-less batter
Method to make malpua
1) Heat ghee in a pan, add one spoonful of prepared batter in the pan and spread it in a circular motion.
2) Cook the malpuas for a while and turn it over once done. Cook it on the other side again till the malpua is crisp and reddish.
3) Take out the malpua from pan and dip it straight into the sugar syrup.
4) Let the malpuas absorb the syrup, take them out and serve them on a plate. Garnish the malpuas with almonds, saffron, and pistachios.
Ingredients of Gulab jamun (Servings – 4)
Gulab jamun Balls:
1 cup milk powder
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoon ghee
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoon curd
5-6 blanched pistachio
2 cups water
1 and 1/2 cup sugar
3-4 green cardamoms (choti elaichi)
1 teaspoon rose water
Method to make Gulab jamun
Method to make syrup:
1) Mix water, sugar, cardamom and saffron
2) Heat the solution till it reaches desired consistency
3) Once the solution is ready keep it off heat and add rose water
Method to make Gulab Jamuns ball:
1) Mix milk powder, all-purpose flour, soda in a bowl
2) Add ghee and yoghurt to the mixture
3) Make smooth round balls from the prepared dough
4) Heat more ghee in another pan and fry the balls on low flame
5) Remove the gulab jamuns from pan once they are golden brown and put them into the sugar syrup.
6) Let the gulab jamuns absorb the sugar syrup, serve it hot or cold.
Snacks recipes for Diwali
Ingredients for Mathri
Maida ( All purpose flour) – 500 gms.
Desi Ghee or Refined Oil – 125 gms.
Cumin or Parsley – 1 tea spoon.
Salt – 1 tea spoon (according to your taste)
Refined Oil – to fry
Method to make Mathri
1) Mix maida, oil, and salt in water and mix it to prepare the dough. Cover the dough and leave it for a few hours.
2) Make small sized balls from the dough and make flat discs from the balls on rolling board. Make 5-6 holes into the disc and separate the round shaped mathris.
3) Heat ghee/oil in a pan and deep fry the round shaped mathris.
4) Fry the mathris till they turn golden brown, separate them on spread napkin to let the excess oil get absorbed.
Ingredients for Cornflakes Mixture
Cornflakes – 4 cups
Peanuts -1/4 cup
Cashew nuts – 1/3 cup
Raisins – 1/4 cup
Fried gram – 2 tbsp (optional)
Curry leaves -few
Salt and Chili powder to taste
Sugar -1 tsp (optional)
Oil for deep frying
Method to make Cornflakes Mixture
1) Heat oil in a pan and fry corn flakes in batches, in another pan fry the peanuts, raisins, cashews and curry leaves.
2) Add all the fried ingredients into the cornflakes with the fried grams and salt with chilli powder.
3) Add sugar into the mix for extra tanginess, the mixture is ready to be served.