Today, January 13, is the day that is celebrated as the most fun and enjoyable Punjabi folk festival, Lohri. Chilly winters, bonfire, popcorns, sweets, songs, and family etc are a few of the things that briefly sum up the Lohri festival. Many people believe the festival commemorates the passing of the winter solstice. Lohri, which is also called as the harvest festival of Punjab, is celebrated on January 13. As per Indian calendar, Lohri falls in the month of Pausha and as per Gregorian calendar is celebrated on January 13.
Apart from being a festival of joy and happiness, one of the biggest reasons why Lohri is so popular among the people is because of the bonfire and popcorns which marks the festival on a cold chilly night of January. Lohri, is known as the harvest festival, also marks the end of a long night of winter and beginning of longer days of summer as the Sun begins its journey to the Northern Hemisphere. On Lohri, women do ‘gidda’ while men perform ‘bhangra’. During Lohri, men and women both do rounds of the bonfire while singing folk songs like — Sunder mundriye ho! On Lohri, family, and friends get together and share joyful greetings.
The Punjabi folk festival, Lohri, is also very important to newly born babies as its marks of richness and fertility. People offered prayers to the bonfire seeking wealth and success. Lohri brings happiness to all and people enjoy this event by dancing and singing traditional songs while circling the bonfire.
As the festival is being celebrated today, we have curated a few of the best Lohri 2018 wishes in the Punjabi language, which will surely help you in connecting with your loved ones.
- पंजाब भंगड़ा दे ~मक्खन मलाई, पंजाबी तड़का ते ~दाल फ्राइ, त्वानू ~लोहड़ी दी लख लख वधाई! हैप्पी-लोहड़ी!!
- लोरी का प्रकाश, आप की ज़िंदगी को प्रकाशमय कर दे. जैसे जैसे लोरी की आग तेज हो, वैसे वैसे ही आपके दुखों का अंत हो. हैप्पी-लोरी !!
- Nachde ne saare te vich baldi aag, dhol di awaaj te nachdi mutiyaar, Mubaarak hove sarkaar Lohri da tyohaar. HAPPY LOHRI!!
- Vekh nazaaraa mitraan da, lohri agge asaan ral-mil nachna, ajj dihaada khushiyaan da..
- Makki de roti te sarson da saag, dil di khushi te apneyaan da pyaar, Mubaarak hove tuhaanu eh Lohri da tyohaar!!!
- HO.. Tera kaun vichaara, HO.. Dulha bhatti wala, HO.. Dulhe ne dhee vehaai, HO.. Sadh shakkar paai, HO.. Bas-bas eh fad 10 rupe te agge vadh. Happy Lohri
- Suraj diyaan kirna, khushiyaan di bahaar, chaand di chandni, te apneyan da pyaar, Mubaarak hove ek Lohri da tyohaar.