New Delhi: The terrorists who attacked the IAF base near Pathankot in Punjab failed to destroy the IAF assets due to timely action by security forces, Home Secretary Rajiv Mehrishi said on Sunday.
“Because of early action, the terrorists were unable to move to their likely intended aim but were contained in an area of heavy growth of trees and shrubs and surrounded,” he told the media here.
He also said that the security forces had sounded an alert in the area, including the Indian Air Force base near Pathankot, ahead of the pre-dawn attack on Saturday.
All vital installations and government offices were informed about a likely terror attack and efforts were mounted to track down the terrorists who had earlier killed a taxi driver, he said.
He said four terrorists were neutralized on Saturday after hours of fighting. “It was not certain if there were other terrorists or not.”
But on Sunday morning, it was discovered there were two more terrorists, he said, adding the security forces were battling them. “These two will also be neutralized.”
According to him, the terrorists killed six IAF personnel and injured eight others. An NSG officer was killed on Sunday morning and five of his colleagues were injured.
“Due to the active intelligence inputs and quick action taken by security forces, especially the IAF, we were able to ensure there was no damage to the assets of the air force.
It was realized in the morning that there were two more terrorists holding up. The combing operations are in full flow and we are hoping that the two terrorists will be neutralised by tonight, as the operation is at the mature stage now, the Home Secretary said.