Mumbai: The residents of Deonar continue to suffer for the third day as the poisonous smoke engulfed the area affecting the quality of air in the area. While fire officials are still struggling to douse off flames at the Deonar dumping ground, a special team from the Ministry of Environment and Forests (MoEF) is scheduled to visit the site on Tuesday and meet key municipal officers.
The team would then submit its report to the MoEF in a week.
Minister of State for Environment and Forests Prakash Javadekar yesterday said that a two-member special team will be sent to investigate the incident.
He blamed the fire on the callousness of the contractors in charge of managing the dump yard and said action would be taken against the violators.
The fire that broke out at Mumbai’s Deonar dumping ground earlier on Sunday, intensified later and spread to around two-three square kilometres.
A massive fire had broken out at the city’s biggest dumping yard, spread across 326 acres, on January 27. It was brought under control after seven days of round-the-clock fire-fighting.
(With inputs from: ANI)