Malegaon blast: Subramanian Swamy slams ‘hypocritical’ Congress
16 May 2016,
Subramanian Swamy also expressed satisfaction at the Supreme Court judgement convicting Sasikala in a disproportionate assets case. Swamy is the original petitioner in the case.
New Delhi: Taking a strong exception to the Congress Party’s demand for a Supreme Court-monitored investigation into the 2008 Malegaon blast case, BJP’s Rajya Sabha MP Subramanian Swamy on Monday said the grand old party is ‘hypocritical’.
Responding to the Congress’ allegations that the National Investigation Agency has become the ‘NaMo Investigation Agency’, Swamy said that the grand old party ‘tells lies at the drop of a hat’.
“Congress is a hypocritical party and they tell lies at the drop of a hat. I want to know why are they demanding that the CBI probe against Harish Rawat in buying of the MLAs be dropped and they have made the same demand today this is called as talking from both side of your mouth,” he said.
Refuting the criticism of his government over the reversal of NIA’s stand in Malegaon case, Swamy said the moot question remains as to why even after ten years a chargesheet wasn’t filed in the case.
“You (Congress) had originally arrested and charged six to seven Muslims and they are still on bail and that case was not yet addressed and you put another case called Hindu terror. These are utter complication and forging of affidavits,’ he added.
Brushing aside Congress’ charge of saving the blast convicts, Swamy said: “We can’t take Congress seriously.”
“If they are really upset on what is happening then let them go and file a complaint in the court, why they are asking us to do this, we are quite satisfied with the way matter is proceeding,” he added.
The Congress had earlier demanded a Supreme Court-monitored investigation into the 2008 Malegaon blast case.
Senior Congress leader Anand Sharma said the National Investigation Agency has become the NaMo Investigation Agency.
Sharma further claimed that the chargesheet filed by the NIA in the case seemed to be aimed at “decimating and demolishing” the “meticulous” investigation conducted by the Mumbai Anti-Terrorism Squad led by its then chief, late Hemant Karkare.
He urged Prime Minister Narendra Modi to uphold his Constitutional oath by letting the apex court monitor the case.
Eight years after she was arrested in the Malegaon blast case, Sadhvi Pragya got a clean chit from the NIA earlier last week.
The NIA on Friday filed a supplementary chargesheet before the court and gave a clean chit to Sadhvi Pragya and five other accused. It also revoked the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act from the case.