Hyderabad: Asaduddin Owaisi, chief of MIM (Majlis-e-Ittehadul Muslimeen) on Friday made it known that his party would go ahead and provide legal aid to the five terror suspects who had been arrested by the NIA on June 29.
NIA had detained 11 people for suspected terror links in raids conducted at several places in Hyderabad on June 29. Five of the 11 suspects were arrested and sent to a day’s judicial custody on June 30. The agency sources said that they had information of the five youth being involved in terrorist activities.
While addressing a gathering Owaisi said, “We never supported terrorism and we will never do it.” He claimed that he was the first Muslim leader in India to come out openly against IS. He reiterated that IS has nothing to do with Islam.
Referring to those who left India for Syria to join IS, the MP described them as cowards. He said Indian Muslims will never leave their country, come what may. “We will remain here and continue our democratic fight for rights. We will die here but will not leave,” he said.
He found fault with media for carrying a report that the arrested youth were planning to throw meat in a temple. He said NIA, in its remand report submitted to the court, made no mention of this. He recalled that meat was thrown in two temples in Hyderabad in 2010 and it led to communal riots. Police subsequently found that the meat was thrown by members of Sangh Parivar.
Owaisi condemned what he called the attempts by a section of media to malign the old city of Hyderabad.”Our fight is not against Hindus or temples. Our fight is for justice and rights and we want take other countrymen along,” he said.
The MP said nobody should have any suspicion on their loyalty to the country. “Allah is the creator of the universe and I worship Him alone. I don’t worship the country but I am ready to sacrifice my life to protect my country,” he said.
Owaisi targeted Modi government and NIA for going soft on the accused in Makkah Masjid, Ajmer and Malegaon blasts. He said Assemanand, an accused in Makkah Masjid and Ajmer blasts was released on bail as the NIA failed to file chargesheet against him in 90 days.
The MP said the NIA dropped charges against Sadhvi Pragya Thakur in 2008 Malegaon blast, though her vehicle was used in the attack. “When a woman can be punished because her car was used in Mumbai blasts, why can’t another woman facing similar charges be jailed,” he asked.