Meerut: Following the gang rape of a 35-year-old woman and her 14-year-old daughter, which took place in Uttar Pradesh’s Bulandshahr on July 29 (Friday) night, by a gang of robbers, DIG Meerut Lakshmi Singh spoke to NewsX about the incident.
Here are the highlights of the conversation:
- A case has been registered against the unidentified accused men under Sections 376 D (gang-rape), 397 (robbery or dacoity with attempt to cause death or grievous hurt) and 395 (punishment for dacoity).
- We have been working on criminals from such ‘Bawaria’ and ‘Chamaar’ nomadic tribes and have showed the victims a database of 200 photographs.
- From the topography of the scene of occurrence, it was presumed that there was some local help. Based on sketches and information obtained from victims, one of the accused has been identified. There are 3 more people who have been arrested.
- Teams have also been dispatched for the timely arrest of 2 more accused whose information has been obtained from the victims.
- We will ensure that harsh and stringent measures are taken so that the accused are not able to perpetrate another such crime.
- One of the victims told us that around 3AM they heard a police van passing by after which the accused hid themselves in the fields and later fled. Had the vehicle been seen on the highway, we would have immediately given it a chase.
- Since the vehicle was down the road on the muddy ‘kuccha’ track, therefore, it was almost impossible to see the vehicle from the highway and notice anything amiss.
- At that time 6 mobiles vans were patrolling between Bulandshahr and Khurja.
- Since we have information about the movement of such tribes, the work plan had been put in place. However, its implementation was found to be lacking hence errant officials have been suspended.
- Despite the presence of police on the highway, if such an act took place, this is not to be tolerated. We have got very strict instructions. Any lethargy on part of the officials will not be sustained.
- Four officials were suspended from the district including Inspector Incharge of the police station. 3 more are under suspension — SSP, SP (city), CO City of the district.
- There is a need to act fast and catch hold of the rest of the culprits.
- The DIG also informed that the criminals had used country-made weapons (tamancha). Sections of Rape and Dacoit have also been placed in the FIR.
- These crimes are against humanity … it has to be zero tolerance; we will slap NSA on these culprits and also ensure speedy trial.
- Meanwhile, investigations in the case are under way and at least fifteen suspects have been detained so far, Vaibhav Krishna, SSP said.
- Will appeal to the judiciary for maximum punishment.
However, the family managed to reach the nearest police station to file a complaint on Saturday. As soon as the police got info about the incident, they reached the spot immediately, rescued the victims and sent them for medical examination and FIR was lodged.For all the latest National News, download NewsX App