New Delhi: In a tragic incident, at least 100 people have died and several others injured after 14 coaches of Patna-Indore Express train derailed near Pukharayan in Kanpur on early Sunday morning.
According to reports, 14 coaches that derailed were Seating cum Luggage Rake, GS, GS, A1, B1/2/3, BE, S1/2/3/4/5/6R.
Rescue and relief operations are currently underway and the injured have been taken to nearby hospitals. Meanwhile, neighbouring districts have also been activated to aid the relief work.
Speaking on the incident, UP CM Akhilesh Yadav said, “I spoke to Railway Minister and have assured that the state government will provide whatever help needed in the rescue operations; politics can wait.”
Expressing his sorrow over Kanpur train tragedy, Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh said, “Unfortunate; prayers with the bereaved families.”
Here are the top developments:
* PM Modi has announced an ex gratia of Rs 2 lakh for next of kin of deceased; Rs. 50,000 for those seriously injured.
* More than 100 people have died, rescue operation are still underway: Daljeet Singh Chaudhary, ADG, Law and order, UP.
* Minister of State (MoS) Railways Manoj Sinha has reached the accident site to take stock of situation and relief work.
* Railway Minister expected to reach the accident site.
* Help desk set up at Patna railway station to assist family members of those onboard in Patna Indore Express that derailed near Kanpur.
* “Chhatarpur SP, Collector, rescue team, a medical team rushed to accident spot; Injured will be given free treatment,” MP CM Shivraj Chouhan said.
* UP CM has announced ex-gratia of Rs 5 lakh to families of the deceased; Rs 50,000 for serious injury; Rs 25,000 for minor injury.
* UP ADG (law and order) has also taken stock of the relief and rescue operation at spot.
* Two NDRF teams from Varanasi and one NDRF team from Lucknow rushed to accident spot to assist in rescue operations.
* Injured taken to hospitals, dead bodies moved to mortuaries, those in state to travel moved to Kanpur railway station by buses: Javeed Ahmad, DG UP
* One army column, team of doctors and paramedics deployed at the spot to help in rescue operation.
* Injured being moved to hospitals; special buses arranged for people who wish to carry on with their journey: Javeed Ahmad, DG UP.
* Railway Minister has ordered 4 senior officers of railways to rush to the spot, MoS Railway has also left for the spot: Indian Railways spokesperson.
* NDRF teams and Army jointly conduct relief and rescue operations.