New Delhi: The Opposition staged a protest on Wednesday morning near Gandhi statue in the Parliament premises against Govt’s demonetisation move.
They formed a human chain outside the Parliament, demanding PM Modi’s presence in the Parliament.
“The nation is standing in line and we are doing just that here,” Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi said.
Opposition members trooped near Speaker Sumitra Mahajan’s podium soon after the House met.
“Congress has been in power for 60 years. This behaviour does not suit them. This is against the rules, they should not do this,” Parliamentary Affairs Minister Ananth Kumar said.
“They must go back to their places so that we can discuss the move made against black money lead by Modiji. Discuss it, we are ready for debate. Why are you forcing adjournments?” he said.
Following the continous disruptions, both the houses were adjourned.
Here are the live updates:
* Lok Sabha adjourned till 11 AM tomorrow after uproar over demonetisation issue
* Govt is ready for debate; ready to discuss all aspects: Union Minister Ananth Kumar in Lok Sabha
* Uproar in Lok Sabha as Opposition demands debate on demonetisation issue under adjournment motion.
* Opposition is not allowing discussion in the House by creating uproar; on the contrary they are putting blame on govt: Naidu
* Poor people want demonetisation to be a success, they see PM as their messiah; opposition is overlooking public’s mood: Naidu
* Rajya Sabha adjourned till 2 PM after uproar over demonetisation issue.
* Speaker refusing to give us debate; Question is not whether PM sits there, question is are we being allowed to speak? We aren’t: Rahul Gandhi
* I urge President to summon PM and ask him to take measures to solve the problems faced by people post demonetisation move: Mayawati
* Opposition leaders meet Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan amid protest against demonetisation move
* What PM has done is biggest impromptu financial experiment, he didn’t discuss this with anyone; this isn’t FM’s decision but PM’s: Rahul Gandhi