Serious questions have been raised over the security arrangements in the Uttar Pradesh Assembly after a suspicious packet filled with powder was found in the premises on Friday. This has come a day after 150 grams of high-potential explosive Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN) powder was found near the seat of the leader of opposition on July 12.

The sealed packet found in the premises on Friday has been handed over to city police for further examination.

Aseem Arun, IG UP ATS has confirmed the recovery of the packet and said that the initial investigation suggest that the packet is contains magnesium sulphate which is used as drying agent for packing material.

During the investigation in this case ATS also interrogated Samajwadi Party MLA Manoj Pandey.

An FIR was registered on Friday against unknown persons in this case. The UP police said that they will scan through the CCTV footage and do a detailed investigation of the spot. “We’ll scan through CCTV footage. ATS will do a detailed investigation of the spot today,” Aseem Arun, IG UP ATS said. He also said that the explosive material found at the spot hinted at the possibility of a terrorist activity in the state of Uttar Pradesh.

Commenting on the issue CM Yogi Adityanath had said, “Explosive was found; action must be taken against those involved. NIA must investigate this.” Confirming the Pentaerythritol tetranitrate (PETN) explosive found, Adityanath asserted that a strong security system must be established as the situation could likely be a ‘terror conspiracy’ as well. The NIA team soon reached the Assembly and began its probe.

UP CM also added that that 150 gm of PETN was found in the premises whereas 500 gm of PETN is enough to blow the whole Assembly. 

The place where the explosive was found is a sanitised zone and only Vidhan Sabha security staff, marshals and the lawmakers are allowed to go there. PETN was used by terrorists in the explosion outside the Delhi High Court on September 7, 2011, killing 17 people and injuring 76. PETN was also used to trigger serial blasts in Varanasi last year.