Coming as a big development, Nitish Kumar on Wednesday resigned as the Chief Minister of Bihar state. He met the Bihar governor Keshari Nath Tripathi and submitted his resignation.
After resigning as Bihar CM, Nitish Kumar said that he had quit in the interest of the state after failing to resolve a crisis plaguing the ruling Grand Alliance.
Nitish Kumar also mentioned that before resigning, he had informed Lalu Prasad Yadav and Congress Bihar incharge CP Joshi.
“Governor has accepted my resignation, and asked me to continue working till the next development. I am not blaming anyone, those who want to blame me are free to do so,” Nitish added.
Addressing a press conference, Nitish Kumar said, “It’s not possible to work in this environment, I tried. Tried to found out a solution.”
“Wanted Bihar’s welfare, had tried to keep the alliance working,” Nitish Kumar said.
Nitish Kumar also commented on Congress party and said that its leaders didn’t raise their voice. No option left apart from resigning as the chief minister of the state.
The move has come hours after the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) ruled out the resignation of Deputy Chief Minister Tejashwi Yadav.
RJD chief Lalu Prasad while briefing the media following a party meet said, “The Parliamentary Party has decided that there is no question of resignation. Even, (Chief Minister) Nitish (Kumar) hasn’t demanded Tejashwi’s resignation.”
Nitish Kumar resigns as Bihar CM: Catch the LIVE updates here:
- Whole heartedly thank PM Modi for response through his tweet about our decision: Nitish Kumar tweeted
- Nityanand Rai and I have called Nitish Kumar. BJP decides to support him; will support the government formed under him. Will inform the governor also: Sushil Modi
- Nitish Kumar did not inform Rahul Gandhi about his intention to resign in their meeting: Sources
- Bihar BJP unit offers unconditional support to Nitish Kumar
BJP welcomes battle against corruption in Bihar. Not in favor of mid-term elections: JP Nadda after BJP Parliamentary Board meet pic.twitter.com/szkam6aGUy
— ANI (@ANI_news) July 26, 2017
- Speaking on the development, Union Minister Ravi Shankar Prasad said, “Nitish-Lalu alliance was a mismatch. This had to happen.”
- — ANI (@ANI_news) July 26, 2017
- Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP)’s parliamentary meeting begins, PM Modi arrives for the meeting
- To rise above political differences and fight against corruption in country and in Bihar in particular, for development is need of the hour: PM Modi Tweeted
- Congratulate Nitish Kumar on joining fight against corruption. 125 crore people welcome and support this honesty: PM Modi tweeted
- When I supported note ban, a lot of allegations were leveled against me: Nitish Kumar
- Gandhiji always said needs can be met on the earth, but greed can never be fulfilled: Nitish Kumar
- (This is a developing story, more detials awaited …)