One of the biggest murder mysteries of 2008, Aarushi Talwar murder case, is most likely to take rest today. The Allahabad High Court is likely to announce its verdict on the Aarushi Talwar murder case on Thursday, October 12. The verdict will be coming in respect of the appeal filed by Aarushi’s parents, challenging their conviction in the murder case. Earlier in 2013, Aarushi Talwar’s mother Nupur Talwar and father Rajesh Talwar, were convicted and were sentenced to life by special CBI Court. The Court had held Aarushi’s parents for the gruesome killings of their daughter and their domestic help, Hemraj in 2013.

In an appeal filed by Aarushi Talwar’s parents, a High Court bench comprising of Justice BK Narayana and Justice AK Mishra had reserved its verdict. The Court had also decided to hear the appeals afresh due to contradictions in some submissions made by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) and had resumed the hearing in August. The Court then reserved its judgment to be pronounced on October 12.

On May 16, 2008, 14-year-old Aarushi Talwar was found murdered in her bedroom with her throat slit with a surgical precision (used by doctors). Initial investigation by the local police suggested that the murder was done by the house help Hemraj. However, the case made the headlines after the body of the initial suspect was found from the terrace of the same flat after 2 days.

Aarushi Talwar’s parents, Rajesh and Nupur Talwar, came in the radar of suspicion after the police recovered Hemraj’s body from the terrace. The police also suspected that Aarushi’s parents might have killed the two after finding them in an ‘objectionable’ position. After the police reports were made public, Talwar’s family and friends accused the Police for trying to frame the parents in order to cover up their careless investigations.

After garnering the massive condemnation over the lapses in investigation, the case was transferred to CBI from UP Police. Previously in 2009, the CBI investigation report was transferred to a new team, which then recommended the closing of Aarushi Talwar murder case due to critical gaps in the investigation.

In 2008, UP Police had first arrested Rajesh Talwar and after which he was sent Dasna Jail and was later let off on July 11, 2008. In 2012, his wife Nupur Talwar had surrendered before a Ghaziabad Court before trial and was also sent to Dasna Jail.