Father of a 7-year-old girl, who was suffering from dengue had passed away at the end of her 15-day stay at Fortis Hospital, Gurugram several days ago, while speaking on the matter on Wednesday said that senior members of Fortis hospital met him and offered him a cheque worth Rs 10,37,889 refunding the entire amount. Fortis hospital Gurugram was at the centre facing backlash from the people when the hospital was not able to save the girl. The case was the 7-year-old girl was highlighted when her parents were billed Rs 16 lakh for her 15-day stay at Fortis Hospital and were allowed to take the child to another hospital only after they paid the full bill amount.

Speaking on the money offered by the Fortis Hospital officials, Girl’s father Jayant Singh also mentioned, “They also said they will be offering me Rs 25 lakh cash on top of this. They said that I will have to sign, enter into a legal agreement assuring to stop my social media campaign, or going to court and taking legal action against them.” After the case was highlighted in media, deceased’s girl’s father and family was supported by people on social media while Fortis hospital was slammed for its negligence and charging too much for girl’s treatment.

According to reports, the 19-page long bill by the Fortis Hospital showed the parents being charged for 661 syringes and 2,700 gloves, among other things, which were supposedly used during the treatment. The matter got highlighted after the father of the deceased, Jayant Singh alleged that he had paid the full bill and further accused the hospital of inflating the bill and imposing arbitrary costs. He also said that after paying this amount, his daughter didn’t get the proper treatment as there were no doctors to look after her on weekends. Adya Singh, daughter of Dwarka-based IT professional Jayant Singh, was admitted to Fortis Hospital on August 31 with ‘severe dengue’, which later progressed to ‘dengue shock syndrome’. 

Seeking a report from Hospital authorities, the National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) on November 25 issued a notice to Gurugram’s Fortis Memorial Hospital following allegations of it over-charging parents of a seven-year-old girl, who died at the hospital despite receiving dengue treatment for over two weeks in September. The price controlling body had sought all the copies of the invoice/bills raised, name of the medicines administered to the patient along with details of quantity or price charged to the patient.