Howdy Modi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on September 22, Sunday will address at the grand Howdy, Modi event, accompanying US President Donald Trump on stage in Houston today. Atleast, 50,000 people are expected to attend the grand event.
PM Modi arrived Houston on September 21, 2019 Saturday for a week-long tour to the United States.
Rally gains bilateral importance as for the first time in recent history leaders of India and the USA will be addressing a joint rally. The tour involves several bilateral meetings and an address to the United Nations General Assembly.
Official statement from the Texas India Forum: We can confirm that @POTUS will be addressing #HowdyModi on Sept 22 with @PMOIndia at @nrgpark.. @narendramodi @realDonaldTrump pic.twitter.com/Cqy6Ppb3bp
— Texas India Forum (@howdymodi) September 15, 2019
Here are 10 highlights of Howdy Modi event which are important to know
- Timings: The ‘Howdy, Modi’ event was organised by the Texas India Forum (TIF) at the NRG stadium. The gates will open at 4:30 pm to accommodate and atleast 50,000 people will be attending by 7:30 pm IST (9 am in the US).
Stadium gates will open three hours before the beginning of the ‘Howdy, Modi’ event, after which the cultural programme will start.
- What is Howdy?: The word ‘Howdy’ is shorthand of How do you do? which is used commonly as the southwestern United States. Prime Minister Narendra Modi has previously addressed similar public gatherings at Madison Square Garden in New York and the SAP Center in San Jose.
- Stage sharing with Donald Trump: Organised in Houston by expat Indians, at Howdy, Modi event, Mr Trump will share the stage with him to acknowledge the expanding growing India-US ties.
- Houstan rally: Donald Trump will attend the Houston rally along with PM Modi to symbolise a special gesture in order to give significance to the bond between the two countries as per White House statement.
- Grand cultural show: US lawmakers, prominent Indian Americans and 400 artistes will be present at the cultural show. The programme will be a 90-minute show named as Woven: The Indian-American Story. The program will begin at 10 am before Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s address to the stadium
- Howdy Modi objective: The Texas India Forum said the Howdy Modi! Shared Dreams, Bright Futures community summit represent 48 states, will come together to bring focus on the values and aspirations of two nations in order to strengthen the India-US ties. It is important for global peace, prosperity, and human progress.
- Expected attendees: Hundreds of prominent business and community leaders across America are expected to attend the event. Over 60 US lawmakers, including senior Democratic Congressman Steny Hoyer, will also attend the event.
- Address to Houstan: It will be PM Modi’s third one to the Indian-American community. Before this, in the year 2014, the Prime Minister addressed the first after his re-election in May. Earlier to this, there were two Madison Square Garden in New York in 2014 and the Silicon Valley in 2016. In both events, more than 20,000 people were present.
- Expected crowd: Crowd turnout is expected to be the largest for any Indian Prime Minister to address in North America. Not just that, it is one of the largest for a democratically elected foreign leader in America.
- Trump’s visit significance: White House said Trump’s visit will be a great opportunity to strengthened the ties between US and India, and the strategic partnership between the world’s oldest and largest democracies. Also to discuss ways to enhance their energy and trade relationship.