- Amritsar grenade attack LIVE updates: 3 dead, several injured, CM Amarinder Singh hints at Khalistan-ISI links
- Chattisgarh assembly elections 2018: PM Modi says Congress promises to protect cows in MP, slaughters them in Kerala
- Madhya Pradesh Assembly elections 2018: Cfore TSG-India News opinion poll predicts 118-132 seats for Congress; 94-108 seats for BJP
Eleven years after twin bomb blasts at Hyderabad’s Gokul Chat and Lumbini Park that claimed over 44 lives and left 68 injured, a local court on Tuesday convicted Aneeq Shafeeq Sayeed and Ismail Chaudhary while two other accused were acquitted. Earlier on August 27, Second Additional Metropolitan Sessions Judge T Srinivas Rao postponed the judgement in the case to September 4. During the hearing, the five accused arrested by Telangana Police’s Counter Intelligence (CI) wing — Mohammed Akbar Ismail Chowdhari, Aneeq Shafique Sayeed, Farooq Sharfuddin Tarkash, Mohammed Sadiq Israr Ahmed Shaik and Tarik Anjum — were produced before the court through video conferencing from the Cherlapalli Central Prison.
An investigation headed by the CI had alleged that all the five accused who have been arrested are alleged Indian Mujahideen operatives. Reports said that the agency had filed four chargesheets against the five accused. Besides this, two other absconding accused, Riyaz Bhatkal and Iqbal Bhatkal, were also named by the agency in the chartgesheets.
During the blasts, around 32 people were killed and 47 sustained injuries at the popular eatery Gokul Chat. On the other hand, 12 others died and 21 left injured in a bomb blast at the open air theatre at Lumbini Park.
The prosecution claims Aneeq Shafique Sayeed was the one who allegedly planted the bomb at Lumbini Park while Riyaz Bhatkal was the one behind Gokul Chat bomb blast. The other bomb, the unexploded one, was planted by Ismail Chowdhari. Tarik Anjum was arrested for giving shelter to the other accused after the blasts.
The chargesheets under relevant provisions of IPC and sections of Explosive Substances Act were filed following the twin blasts on August 25, 2007. The accused have also been charged for the recovery of unexploded bomb recovered from a foot over bridge at Hyderabad’s Dilsuknagar area.