With a demand to end the agrarian crisis, thousands of farmers, farmworkers and labourers from across the country staged a protest march in New Delhi on Wednesday. Dubbed as Mazdoor-Kisan Sangharsh Rally, the mega rally is the first-ever combined rally by outfits affiliated to CPI(M) — Centre of Indian Trade Unions (CITU), All India Kisan Sabha (AIKS) and All India Agriculture Workers Union (AIAWU). Different labour and farmer unions demanded employment opportunity, remunerative prices for farmers produce, loan waiver for poor peasants and agriculture workers, checking forcible land acquisition, Universal Social Security and protection of labour law and agriculture workers etc.
The rally headed from Ramlila Maidan to Parliament Street via Ranjeet Singh Flyover, Tolstoy Marg.
The protestors came from neighbouring states of Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Bihar, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Haryana.
The protesters demanded that-
– All workers should be given a minimum wage of at least Rs 18,000 per month
– Food security for workers
– Effective implementation of labour laws
– More employment opportunities
– Recognition of one crore Anganwadi and ASHA workers as an organised workforce
– Complete implementation of the Swaminathan Committee recommendations
– Debt waiver for all farmers and agricultural workers
– Ban on forward trading on essential commodities
– Government should curb the increasing prices of essential commodities
– Remunerative prices for farmers produce
– Checking forcible land acquisition
– Universal Social Security and protection of labour law and agriculture workers