The second phase of polling has ended in the country with millions of people taking part in the electoral exercise. The people voted across 95 Lok Sabha seats in 11 states and one Union Territory.
The eleven states to witness voting in phase 2 of Lok Sabha Election states are Assam, Bihar, Jammu and Kashmir, Karnataka, Maharashtra, Manipur, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, Uttar Pradesh, Bengal, Chhattisgarh and one Union Territory, Puducherry.
Voting is underway as 15.80 crore voters gear up to cast their vote to decide the fate of 1,600 candidates. More than 1.81
lakh polling booths have been installed across 11 states. Tamil Nadu has all seats going to polls today with 67,664 polling booths that have been set up. The state has the most number of booths among poll going states. The election in Tamil Nadu’s Vellore constituency has been cancelled by the Election Commission on grounds of excessive use of money power and lack of credibility. The poll body hasn’t announced any fresh date.
Here are the LIVE updates:
- Uttar Pradesh registers 58.12% while Maharashtra records 55.37% polling till 5:00 PM
- Jammu and Kashmir records 43.3% polling, Srinagar registers merely 7% upto 5:00 PM.
- Tehseen Poonawalla files complaint with Election Commission against the candidature of BJP ‘s Sadhvi Pragya from Bhopal Parliamentary constituency requests EC to debar her from contesting elections, given she is a terror accused
- Sadhvi Pragya, BJP Lok Sabha candidate from Bhopal breaks down while addressing party workers, accuses jail authorities of torture
- Congress MP candidate from Lucknow Pramod Krishnam questions Shatrughan Sinha campaigning for wife Poonam, asks the former BJP leader to campaign for him and fulfil ‘party-dharma’.
- Surendra Kumar, Chief Electoral Officer, Odisha has recommended re-polling in booth 213 in Sundergarh, booth 129 in Bonai, and booths 210 & 222 in Daspalla assembly constituency due to technical problems in EVM machines and VVPATs. He said technical problems arose due to lapses on part of the polling officers, action will be taken against those officers for dereliction of duty.
- Congress overseas chief Sam Pitroda says Congress manifesto is not a false promise, if voted to power the manifesto will be implemented.
- 107-year old Padma awardee, Saalumarada Thimmakka casts her vote for the Bangalore Rural parliamentary constituency
- Shatrughan Sinha on campaigning for wife Poonam Sinha, who’s an SP candidate said it was his duty as a husband to support his wife
- Aam Aadmi Party’s Balbir Singh Jakhar files nomination from West Delhi.
- Senior AAP leader Gopal Rai on alliance with Congress said everything was finalized, including seat sharing and it was difficult to understand why Congress backed out yesterday evening.
- West Bengal voter turnout till 3.00 pm: Jalpaiguri (SC) – 71.32%,Darjeeling – 63.14%, Raiganj – 61.84 %. State total – 65.43 %
- Manipur registered 49.7% voters, Karnataka 36.31% till 1 pm.
- A 95-year-old man collapses and later dies while waiting for his turn to vote, at a polling booth in Odisha’s Ganjam district.
- Election Commission officials on Thursday searched the luggage and chopper of Karnakata Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy in Uttara Kannada.
- Maharashtra witnesses 35.4 per cent voter turnout while Uttar Pradesh records 38.94 per cent voter turnout till 1 pm today, reports said.
- Samajwadi Party chief and former UP chief minister, Akhilesh Yadav files nomination from Azamgarh.
- Bollywood actor Vivek Oberoi at Election Commission: The actor has appealed the poll body to decide the future course of PM Modi biopic which was banned by EC a day before its release. Vivek is playing the titular character Prime Minister Narendra Modi in the movie. The EC has ordered the release of ‘PM Narendra Modi’ after the end of seven-phase voting across the country.
- Polling halted at a polling station in Manipur after police opened fire on a crowd that was barging inside the polling station. EVMs were destroyed by the crowd.
- EVM vandalized during a clash between TMC and BJP workers in West Bengal’s Chopra
- Fatehpur Sikri’s Mangoli Kala region records nil voter turnout as villagers boycott general elections over lack of adequate irrigation facilities in the village.
- Criminal complaint filed against Congress President Rahul Gandhi for making allegedly derogatory statements against PM Narendra Modi.
- UP voter turn out till 1 pm
Nagina : 38.71%
Fatehpur Sikri: 35.96%
- Voter turnout in Chattisgarh till 1 pmSihawa 56: 38%
Kurud 57: 38%
Dhamtari 58: 37%
- Other states’ voter turnout till 1 pm includes Manipur that recorded 49.07 % voters. Bihar’s Kishanganj recorded 32%, Katihar at 31.82%, Purnia 31.82%, Bhagalpur 28% and Banka stood at 32.6%. While Odisha registered 33% polling till 1 pm.
- Shoe hurled at BJP MP GVL Narasimha Rao during press briefing
- Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya, who is out on bail has hit back at NC leader Omar Abdullah and Congress for tarnishing her image. BJP has fielded Pragya from Bhopal seat where she is set to lock horn against Congress veteran Digvijay Singh for the Lok Sabha polls
- Election Commission bans Congress’s ‘Chowkidar Chor hai’ ads after BJP moved to court
- Karnataka Minister DK Shivakumar casts his vote at a polling booth in Dodda Halahalli, Kanakapura Taluka
- BJP worker found dead in West Bengal’s Purulia, while reports of poll violence continue to dominate polling in the state.
- SP candidate Poonam Sinha holds with roadshow after filing nomination from Lucknow against BJP’s Rajanth Singh
- Sadhguru who travelled all the way from the US to cast his vote in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu said the privilege to decide who will govern us next should not go in vain. Hence, everyone should exercise this responsibility to decide the fate of the country, reported News18
- CPM candidate Mohammad Salim’s vehicle attacked in Islampur. TMC behind the attack, accuses CPM.
- Former CM Siddaramaiah and his son Yathindra Siddaramaiah cast their votes at a polling booth in Mysuru
- Kanwar Singh Tanwar, BJP MP from Amroha, has accused of false voting in the region. Apparently, a man was clad in Burkha while casting his vote at the polling station.
- Union Minister Maneka Gandhi files nomination from Sultanpur constituency
- Differently-abled staff manages polling booth number 193 in Maharashtra’s Buldhana
- State BJP Vice President Tejaswini Ananth Kumar casts her vote in Bengaluru’s Basavanagudi
- Farooq Abdullah and Omar Abdullah cast their votes in Srinagar. Omar Abdullah after voting said the Election Commission along with the Centre should get an elected government for the people of Jammu and Kashmir
- Poonam Sinha, SP-BSP-RLD candidate from the Parliamentary constituency files her nomination for 2019 polls. She will be contesting against BJP’s Rajnath Singh.
- Voter turnout till 11 AM in Assam was 26.39%, while in Chhattisgarh it was 26.2%. In Tamil Nadu, the turn out till 11 AM was 30.62%
- Voter turnout till 11 AM in Uttar Pradesh (8 constituencies) was 24.31%.
- Multiple incidents of violence, intimidation and booth capturing reported from Dinjapur, West Bengal. Security personnel lob tear gas shells and lathi charge locals as they block NH-34 in protest after unknown miscreants allegedly prevent voters from casting votes.
- Maharashtra Congress chief Ashok Chavan casts vote at a polling station in Nanded constituency
- Voter turnout till 11 AM in Manipur was 32.18% while in Bihar it was 18.97%
- BJP General Secretary from Raiganj constituency, West Bengal, Debasree Chaudhuri accuses TMC workers of booth capturing at Raiganj Coronation High School. Villagers also have alleged violence and intimidation by TMC as protesters block the highway.
- BJP MP from Mathura, Hema Malini said she should be credited for development in the constituency as SP-BSP had no time, given their infighting. She also said that there is Modi wave in the region.
- Polling has temporarily halted in Maharashtra’s Shastri Nagar due to fault in Electronic Voting Machine (EVM). A technical glitch has delayed polling at booth number 217 in Solapur.
- Sushmita Dev, sitting MP from Silchar, Assam casts her vote at a polling booth in the constituency
- JDS leader and former PM, HD Deve Gowda and his wife cast their votes at a polling station in Hassan’s Paduvalahippe.
- While voting is underway in the state of Maharashtra, in the meanwhile, Election Commission flying squad has seized Rs 11.85 Lakh cash in Sion area of Mumbai City district
- BJP candidate from Buxar, Ashwini Kumar Choubey, casts his vote at a polling station in Bhagalpur
- UP Congress chief Raj Babbar casts vote from his constituency from Fatehpur Sikri at the polling booth in Radha Ballabh Inter College
- An election official posted at a polling booth in Kanker, Chhattisgarh dies of heart attack during election duty.
- Voter turn out recorded till 10 am was 19.5 per cent in Bihar, highest among states considering lower turn out till 9 am
- Amma Makkal Munnetra Kazhagam (AMMK) chief TTV Dinakaran casts his vote in Besant Nagar in Chennai South parliamentary constituency.
- HD Kumaraswamy after casting his vote said dynasty politics is not an important issue, it’s the national issues that bother our party. JD (S) doesn’t care about BJP’s criticism
- State-wise overall polling percentage till 9 am Assam (5 seats)-9.51%J&K (2 seats)-0.99%Karnataka (14 seats)-1.14%Maharashtra (10)-0.85%Manipur (1)-1.78%Odisha(5)-2.15%Tamil Nadu (38)-0.81%Uttar Pradesh (8)-3.99%West Bengal (3)-0.55%Chhattisgarh(3)-7.75%Bihar (5)-12.27%Puducherry-1.62%