DELHI: An independent committee to suggest allowances and salaries for Delhi MLAs set up by Delhi Assembly Speaker Ram Niwas Goel, has put forward the suggestion to increase Delhi MLAs’ salaries by four times.
It has suggested the basic salary of legislators to be increased from current Rs 12,000 to Rs 50,000.
Following are the points of salary break-up as suggested by the Committee:
• Hike from Rs 12000 to Rs 50000- Basic salary
• Hike from Rs 18000 to Rs 50000- Constituency allowance
• Rs 10000 (per month)- Allowance for office assistants
• Up to Rs 25000- Allowance for office rent
• From Rs 8000 to Rs 10000- communication allowance
• From Rs 1000 to Rs 2000- Daily allowance (When the Assembly is in session)
• Rs 1 Lakh- One time allowance for furnishing office
However, reacting to the issue, BJP Leader, Satish Upadhyay, opposed the suggestion saying that the Aam Aadmi Party has now become more like ‘Khaas’ Aadmi Party.
Mentioning the priorities that AAP should have while ruling in Delhi, he questioned that whether the priority and focus of the party should be on hiking the salary or on how to tackle problems like price rise, Dengue, contractual employee problem and other problem which Delhi is facing.
AAP legislators had approached Delhi government in July, complaining that their present salary, Rs 82,000, was not enough in Delhi and had thus demanded a revision in their salaries.